Saturday 10 February 2018

Grenzebach's letter of instruction



Alex Black's career as a plowman started in 1925, at age 14 with horses and a Tolten 7 walking plow at Brockville IPM.
Next year, his father, Neil Black wrote a letter to Wilfred Grenzebach,seeking instruction for the 1926 IPM .Alex kept the letter in his scrapbook:  
Mr.Black,
Oct.7,1926 Guelph,Ont.
Woodstock,R.R.7, Ont
Dear Sir: I received your letter yesterday and would have answered last night but I was away.I shall be pleased to help you in any way I can.I don't think I shall be able to come to your match in Puslinch as the Blenheim match is on the same date which is much nearer home.I am going to Niagara Falls next week but I don't intend to plow this year.I got the championship in stubble twice and so I thought I would drop out and let the other fellows have a chance.I could still plow in the sod but I thought I would take a year off this year and see the other fellows plow as I have.I had very little chance to do this when I plow myself.
The two big days for you would be Wednesday (13th) stubble and Thursday(14th)sod.I will be there both days so we can possibly see each other there if you get down.
If you are there early enough in the morning,you will probably find me in the headquarters tent before they draw their lands about nine to half past nine.
Now for a few instructions regarding plowing.You didn't say whether your boy was plowing in stubble or sod,but judging by your letter I suppose it will be stubble but the same rules apply very much the same for sod or stubble.In striking out in stubble with a Tolten 7, I think the scratches should be about 21 to 22 inches apart and not too heavy.The first round should be about 8" wide or a little more and about 5 and one-quarter inches out and check your plow enough so as not to get the furrow too flat.Of course there are no definite set of rules which can be given as soil conditions and stubble or surface conditions vary very much and it is often impossible to lay first furrows as you want them and consequently the other furrows following must also be plowed different to match the first which may mean that the second round must sometimes be plowed deeper and wider than other times to meet the first furrow.
The only way any one will make a real good plowman is to use your own judgement as you go along and lay each furrow to look right with the others not too high or low or too wide or narrow.
If you followed a definite set of rules as to depth you would be sure to get into trouble. However, the following may be followed as to applying to average conditions.The first round as I have already stated.
The second round generally about 1/2 inch deeper than the first round and about 1" and one quarter to1" and one half inch wider than the first round.The third round a little deeper just enough to come up well with the second as near as you can and not so wide as the second round getting your third round about the width of your ordinary furrows or a little wider.The 4,5,and 6th furrows should generally keep getting deeper so as to keep up the side of the crown and avoid falling away too much and getting a hollow on each side of the crown.There are two points that I would like to specially emphasize which are two of the biggest weaknesses in 75% of the plowmen and that is to be sure and get your second round wide enough although they may not look just so nice possible they will look a little wide when you have plowed your 2nd round but it will be better in the end as the furrows will show up more uniform in shape.The second big point is to avoid falling away alongside of your crown in your 3,4,5,and 6th furrows,try and keep your crown well shaped and well held up along side.If you can master these two points you are well on your way to success.
I don't know how wide you generally plow, I plow about 8" wide at match in stubble and about 8 and 1/2" or 9" in sod,however for a boy I would advise not less than 8and1/2or 9" in stubble or even more.Don't plow too wide as long as you can turn your furrow well and make a good job.If you plow wide the first furrows should also be a little wider.I would use an 8" share.When nearing the finish it is good policy to get a little shallower starting about the third last round but not too much so as to show it too flat or falling away so much.I generally have about 30" for last 4 furrows which makes about 7and 1/2" each but that would be too narrow for you.The last two rounds should be a little narrower than the rest to make them correspond well when finished.I think this is all that is necessary to write if you come down to the Provincial next week.You can learn a great deal more than trying to tell you all the little details in a letter.Wishing your boy every success I remain yours truly,
W.O.Grenzebach 
Alex's scrapbook also contained a letter from the New Zealand plow champion,Mr.Alex Brown dated 4:1:37.He was impressed that Ontario had a four day event with 600 plowmen compared to their one day event with 55 contestants in 7 classes.Contestants plowed with 2 and 3 furrow plows pulled by 4 and 6 horses.
Alex Black started plowing with tractor in 1937.By 1941 he had competed in over 100 matches and won 7 IPM championships.He was often a judge at Oxford matches.He is clearly identified in the centre of front row of the 1949 Borden's group.(6th from the left,bald head and his arms crossed)
                                                                                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment